Pages

Search This Blog

Currently Crushing On:

7.4.16

Why Growing Up is A Personal Thing

Welcome to the first instalment of GIRL TALK; I have decided to dedicate this first post to talking about something that has been filling my brain far more than it should have lately, adulthood. For any of you that don't know, I have recently turned 20 which means that I am now a fully fledged adult.. I am currently studying a Business and Management Degree, and I have financial commitments, however I still live with my parents; honestly, I feel a little lame sometimes, but who cares? 


My boyfriend and I have been together for just over 3 and a half years, and I love him dearly, but in September he moved away to study at a university almost 100 miles away, and I made the decision to study in my home town. Granted I have saved a heck of a lot of money, and it means that I didn't have to leave my family behind, but I still debate whether I may feel a little more accomplished if I had chosen to leave home.

Now for the main topic of conversation; marriage, babies and old fashioned adulthood. I am at that age where a lot of people that I know appear to be making big life choices (or so social media would make it appear!), however I, myself am floating.. and I am happy with that. Over the past couple of weeks there have been several marriage proposals, two pregnancy announcements and a child birth just on my Facebook newsfeed- crazy, right!? Whenever I tell people how long Jack and I have been together they always gasp, feeling the need to remind me that we have been together since we were 16, I smile and nod, awaiting the question that I have become far too familiar with.. "Surely you must be thinking off settling down soon!?" I don't know when this became a thing to ask a 20 year old girl that doesn't even know what she's having for breakfast, but honestly, I'm not overly thrilled by the prospect of somebody having the audacity to determine at what stage I should make such a life changing commitment. Rude.

We are living in a time where women are encouraged to be their own boss, and it is more of a normality to see a single mother; however, people still think that it is okay to tell others when 'the right time to settle down' is, and how it should be done. Whether you are male or female, nobody has the right to tell you at what stage in your life you should be making such big decisions- heck, I'm 20 years old and I've only just learnt how to iron a shirt! Don't let anybody pressure you into feeling like you aren't doing things the 'right' way.. who determines what is right and wrong anyway?

(This image is sourced from Ban.do)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright @ Martha Molly. Blog Design by KotrynaBassDesign