Pages

Search This Blog

Currently Crushing On:

17.4.15

Book Review: Not That Kind of Girl

Now before you say it, I know that I'm about 3 months behind jumping on the 'Not That Kind of Girl' bandwagon, but I thought that I'd share my views none the less! I was very excited to read this book, although it wasn't what I expected, it's definitely worth a read!

In this fun loving autobiography, Lena Dunham exposes all.. Work, friends, love and lust, you name it. Having never watched 'Girls' I would be lying if I said that I didn't purchase this as an act of curiosity- I had to know what the hype was all about! Although several people have recommended the series to me, and don't get me wrong I'm a fan of all things New York City, but I just haven't got round to it. At nearly 29, a mere 10 years older than myself, Lena Dunham has her own TV show, a best selling book and almost too many award nominations to count- she's killing it!


Enjoying a good vent myself (who knew!?) I found Dunham's writing style very refreshing. She is brutally honest about everything from internet crushes and pervy teachers, to her vow of celibacy at aged 9. The book itself is almost like a collection of blog posts- it is as though anything that has popped into her head, regardless as to how strange it may appear, has found its way onto the page. When reaching the end of the book I admit that I expected some form of summary, the overall purpose of the book, perhaps? I'm not sure, but alas, nothing concluded. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed it! 


As somebody so young, I feel that Dunham has done a brave thing. She has come out as being comfortable in her own skin (God forbid!), and has given us girls out there something to relate to. It has also taught me that maybe there's a little bit of feminist in all of us- you go girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright @ Martha Molly. Blog Design by KotrynaBassDesign