Pages

Search This Blog

Currently Crushing On:

5.12.16

The Alternative Mince Pie

I'm not going to beat around the bush here, I hate mince pies. No matter how much I want to like them, to really get into the festive spirit, just I can't. Now don't get me wrong, the pastry is delicious (especially when it's warm and all of the juices have soaked into it!) but sadly that's as far as my love goes.. so, I decided that I would make some festive jam tarts instead. I opted for a very simple recipe that takes next to no time to prepare and a mere 12-15 minutes to cook; they are the perfect winter warmer to whip up pre-gathering, for mince pie haters alike! They are a little rustic looking, but hey, that's what Christmas is about right?

Ingredients:
85g unsalted butter/margerine
170g self-raising flour (plus extra for dusting)
Jar of strawberry jam

Step 1: Preheat the oven to 200ÂșC. Using your hands, rub together the flour and margarine until it begins to look like breadcrumbs; when this happens, add in a few tablespoons of water to create a dough-like mixture.

Step 2: Lightly sprinkle some flour on your work surface and begin rolling the pastry; it should be between 0.5 and 1cm thick. Following this, use a pastry cutter to cut out 15 shapes- I opted for a fluted edge, how cute do they look!?

Step 3: Grease your baking tray and place your shapes into individual cupcake compartments- add around a teaspoon of jam to each. Be careful not to add too much else they will ooze when cooking.

Step 4: Roll out your left over pastry and cut out shapes to top your tarts; this can be done free hand if you wish, but I used a star shape cookie cutter! 

Step 5: Pop your tarts in the oven for around 15 minutes (keep checking them as they have the potential to brown very quickly!) and once cooked, serve immediately. Although I'm a serial green tea drinker, I enjoyed mine with a big ol' glass of milk- perfection.

Doing some baking has really got me in the festive spirit! How's your December going so far?

1 comment:

  1. Oh, these look absolutely delicious! I love jam tarts, I made them last year around Christmas & was surprised how easy it was! Now I wish we had had a cute little star in the middle of each one as well!
    xx Lisa | Following Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Copyright @ Martha Molly. Blog Design by KotrynaBassDesign